Administrator guide to Campaign Monitor for Salesforce
This guide has been created to provide Salesforce administrators with before-you-start advice for installing and configuring the Campaign Monitor for Salesforce connector. The following should help you prepare your Salesforce instance, familiarize you with terminology, and highlight settings or instructions that require administrator access.
As an administrator, it is expected that you will have a functional understanding of how standard objects (such as Campaigns, Leads and Accounts) work and how modification of standard objects may affect triggers, workflows or other validation rules already configured in your Salesforce Org.
Integrating Campaign Monitor and Salesforce gives you the ability to manage your customer data, plus send and measure the success of email campaigns, all from within your Salesforce organization.
After it's configured successfully, you will be able to view email campaign activity from contact, lead or campaign pages, easily create new subscribers from Salesforce leads and, most importantly, sync accounts so that you're always working with the latest and most accurate data.
- Bulk import contacts and leads to subscriber lists. Learn more.
- Set up automatic subscriptions to add people to subscriber lists who meet a set criteria. Learn more.
- Create and edit subscriber lists in Campaign Monitor without leaving Salesforce. Learn more.
- View email tracking statistics alongside contact and lead records to see what emails were sent, which campaigns were opened, and what links were clicked. Learn more.
- Map custom fields in Campaign Monitor to contact and lead records in Salesforce, and vice versa. Learn more.
- Change contact and lead email subscriptions without leaving Salesforce. Learn more.
- Create new contacts and leads based on email subscription list signups. Learn more.
NOTE:Some features are only available with the Premium edition of Campaign Monitor for Salesforce.
By understanding Campaign Monitor for Salesforce's standard and optional configuration settings, you will be able to customize how data for both your contacts and email campaigns is synced between accounts.
After installing the connector, you'll work through some of the configuration options via the connection wizard, which guides you through the basic steps for getting up and running.
Standard configuration settings
By default, when the configuration job runs, data is synced from Campaign Monitor to Salesforce. Subscriber list records are created in Salesforce for every list in the account, or every list belonging to the client (if it's a multi-client account).
During the initial sync, incoming subscriber email addresses are checked against contact and lead records to identify matching email addresses. When a match is found it creates a link between the subscriber membership record and the contact or lead.
If no match is found a subscriber membership record is still created, and this data can be used to run reports identifying contacts or leads who aren't subscribers.
Optional configuration settings
The connection wizard provides the option to add objects to contact, lead and campaign page layouts which display email tracking statistics. For example, you can see if a contact has opened any recent emails and which links were clicked from within the contact's page in Salesforce.
This optional configuration setting is labeled "Update Page Layouts" in the connection wizard. Before updating page layouts, you will want to consider:
- Your Salesforce Org's data storage limits.
- Any custom triggers, process builders, workflows or validation rules that could be affected by adding these objects.
Salesforce administrators can add these objects to page layouts later.
The "Update Page Layouts" option is not available on the Professional Edition of Salesforce.
If you have multiple clients in Campaign Monitor, the connection wizard will select the first client — based on alphabetical order — to sync with. You can select a different client to sync, after the connection is complete.
After connecting Campaign Monitor and your Salesforce instance, you'll find two new apps in the app menu: "Campaign Monitor" and "Campaign Monitor Admin". In Campaign Monitor Admin, you can customize the type of data synced between accounts, and change the frequency for automatically syncing data.
The most commonly used administrator controls are covered in more detail here: Campaign Monitor for Salesforce admin console.
NOTE: Access to the "Campaign Monitor Admin" app can also be granted to Salesforce users who are not administrators. See instructions for managing user access.
Start the installation
Follow these steps to get started:
- Install and connect Campaign Monitor for Salesforce
- Enable the Email Opt Out checkbox
- Grant access to other Salesforce users
After you've completed installing and configuring Campaign Monitor for Salesforce, you might like to start:
- Adding Salesforce contacts or leads to subscriber lists
- Sending emails with Campaign Monitor for Salesforce
- Create and manage subscriber lists from Salesforce
- Sync Salesforce contacts or leads with custom fields